Y PPA Manager, a tool to easily search for packages in Launchpad PPAs and perform various PPA actions: add, remove, purge, backup PPAs and more, has been updated to version 0.0.9.0 today.
Y PPA Manager 0.0.9.0 brings an option to install a package from the PPA search results dialog (which adds the PPA too if it's not added already), an improved duplicate source removal feature and more.
Changes in Y PPA Manager 0.0.9.0:
- new "Install packages" item in the main UI that lets you quickly install packages (if you already know the package names). Separate multiple packages with a space. This python script was contributed by Lorenzo from atareao.es (thank you!)
- when you search for packages in Launchpad PPAs, you can select to install some packages directly from the search results dialog (from the search results dialog, select a PPA and click "List packages", then select some package(s) and click "Install") - if the PPA isn't already added on your system, it will be added and then the selected package(s) will be installed using the new "Install packages" python script mentioned above, that comes with a GUI, so the user can see if any errors occur. This makes it easier and a lot faster to find the package you're looking for, add the PPA and install the package (for an even faster experience, the PPA source is updated using "update-ppa", a feature added in Y PPA Manager 0.0.8.7)
- a new "PPA status" column in the basic search and advanced search results dialog that lets you know if the PPA is already added on your system or not. Feature inspired by PPASC
- Search results dialog: when searching for a package (in deep search only), Y PPA Manager displays its version if it's installed, or it lets you know that the package is not installed.
- "Remove duplicate PPA sources": display which PPA sources are duplicates and also, display which PPA sources are about to be removed
- Other minor changes and fixes, like for instance setting a proper name for the indicator when using HUD
Here's a short video demoing the changes / new features in Y PPA Manager 0.0.9.0:
(direct video link)
To add a PPA and install a package available in that PPA, search for the package:
|The "PPA Status" column tells if you the PPA is already added on your system or not; If the package is installed, its version is displayed on top of the "deep" search window|
Then click "List packages", select the package (or multiple packages - hold down the CTRL key to select multiple packages) you want to install and click the "Install" button:
Y PPA Manager will then ask for your confirmation - if the PPA isn't already added on your system, it will be added and the installation will begin:
Install Y PPA Manager in Ubuntu / Linux Mint
Y PPA Manager supports Ubuntu 12.10, 12.04, 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04 as well as Linux Mint. To add the PPA and install it, use the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/y-ppa-manager sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install y-ppa-manager
If you encounter bugs, report them @ Launchpad.