- Pair Logitech Unifying Receiver Devices In Linux With Solaar
- Edit Samsung TV Channel List With SamToolBox
- SelekTOR: Tor GUI With Country Exit Node Selection, Useful To Bypass Country Restrictions For Various Websites
- Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu On A Chromebook Using Crouton
- How To Install Dropbox In Xubuntu And Get Thunar Integration (Xfce)
- GIMP 2.9 (2.10 Development Builds) Available In New Ubuntu PPA
- Rhythmbox Third-Party Plugins Ubuntu PPA
- Dukto LAN File Transfer Tool Is Easy To Use, Multi-Platform
KDE Connect Indicator: Use KDE Connect On Desktop Environments That Use AppIndicators (Unity, Pantheon, Etc.)
KDE Connect is a tool which allows you integrate the KDE Plasma Workspace with your smartphone (Android only for now), via WiFi.
With the help of KDE Connect Indicator, you can now use KDE Connect in desktops which support Ubuntu AppIndicators, such as Unity, Pantheon (elementary OS), Xfce (Xubuntu) and so on.
For those who aren't familiar with KDE Connect, here's a quick list of features for the latest version (0.7.3 at the time I'm writing this article):
- display notifications from your Android device on your desktop (requires Android 4.3+);
- send files from your Android device to your desktop and the other way around "without wires";
- touchpad emulation: use your phone screen as your computer's touchpad (keyboard emulation is also available);
- shared clipboard between your phone and computer;
- display your phone's battery status on the desktop;
- multimedia remote control: use your Android device to control various Linux media players;
- RSA Encryption.
Quick update for Ubuntu users: FFmpeg isn't available in recent Ubuntu releases but that will change with Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet (currently under development, to be released in April, 2015).
Gis Weather is a highly customizable weather widget which supports Gismeteo, Weather and AccuWeather, available for Linux and Windows. The app ships with optional Ubuntu AppIndicator / tray icon which displays the current weather.
Thunar, the default Xfce file manager, doesn't support split view. In a bug report from 2013 which requested this feature, Nick Schermer, one of the Thunar developers, said that Thunar won't support split view because "Thunar is by design meant to be simple and easy to use".
Since Thunar is open source software, Xfce user Román decided to take this issue into his own hands so he implemented the split view / dual pane feature in Thunar and released a patch, so everyone who wants this feature can use his work.
ownCloud is a free software alternative to various proprietary web services and it includes file management (with built-in file sharing), music streaming, calendar, contacts and more, all running on your own server. The ownCloud Desktop Client allows synchronizing ownCloud (server) with your computer. To use it, you must firstly install ownCloud on your server.
ownCloud Client 1.7.0 was released a couple of days ago, bringing selective sync support, overlay icons for popular file managers as well as support for some of the new features available in ownCloud 7.
Yarock 1.0.0 was released recently, getting an updated design with new icons, advanced library search and other interesting changes.
For those not familiar with Yarock, this is a Qt4 music player "designed to provide an easy and pretty music collection browser based on cover art".
TeamViewer is a popular application for remote control, desktop sharing, file transfer, online meetings and more, that's available for Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Android and iPhone.
The application is free (freeware) for personal use and the Linux version uses Wine, which comes bundled with it (so users don't have to install Wine to be able to use TeamViewer).
TeamViewer 10 beta was released recently and it comes with significant performance optimizations as well as new features, like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Box integration, chat history and persistent chat groups, real-time session notes and more.
- Latest articles
- How To Use Compiz In Ubuntu MATE 14.04 Or 14.10
- KDE Connect Indicator: Use KDE Connect On Desktop Environments That Use AppIndicators (Unity, Pantheon, Etc.)
- FFmpeg Returns To The Official Ubuntu Repositories With Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet
- Gis Weather: Highly Customizable Weather Widget For Your Linux Desktop
- Split View Patch Available For Thunar File Manager
- Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS Available For Download
- ownCloud Client 1.7.0 Released With Selective Sync Support
- Qt4 Music Player `Yarock` 1.0.0 Released With Improved Design, Advanced Library Search
- Add Telegram Support To Pidgin With Telegram Purple
- TeamViewer 10 Beta Available For Download [Remote Desktop Software]
- Viber Wrapper Indicator Hides Floating Viber Icon, Adds AppIndicator Support
- 10 Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr To Get A Near Perfect Desktop
- Install Atom Text Editor In Ubuntu Via PPA [32bit + 64bit]
- Install Fresh Player Plugin In Ubuntu Via PPA (Pepper Flash Wrapper For Firefox)
- Install Popcorn Time In Ubuntu Or Debian Via PPA Repository
- Syncthing: Open Source BitTorrent Sync Alternative (P2P Sync Tool)
- New Cinnamon Stable Ubuntu PPAs [Ubuntu 14.04 And 12.04]
- Install Google Earth In Ubuntu 14.04 64bit [How To]
- Install Copy.com Client In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint Via PPA (Cloud File Storage, Sync And Sharing Platform)
- Ubuntu Touch Emulator: Installation And Usage In Ubuntu 14.04, 13.10 And 12.04
- Install Android Studio In Ubuntu Via PPA
- How To Install GNOME 3.10 In Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander
- Wallch: Use Wallpaper Clocks, Live Earth, Live Website Wallpapers And More In Ubuntu [Wallpaper Changer]
- How To Install And Tweak GNOME Flashback Session In Ubuntu 14.04
- Install Nemo With Unity Patches (And Without Cinnamon Dependencies) In Ubuntu
- Pipelight: Use Silverlight In Your Linux Browser To Watch Netflix, Maxdome Videos And More
- Install Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu Via PPA Repository [JDK8]
- GIMP 2.9 (2.10 Development Builds) Available In New Ubuntu PPA
- How To Get A Complete GNOME 3 Desktop In Ubuntu 12.10, Without Installing Ubuntu GNOME Remix
- Tor Browser Bundle Ubuntu PPA
- Things To Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin
- Ubuntu Multi-Monitor Tweaks (Full Screen Flash Fixes, Span Wallpaper Across Monitors, More)
- Genymotion: Fast, Easy To Use Android (x86) Emulator With OpenGL Hardware Acceleration Support
- How To Boot An ISO With GRUB2 (The Easy Way!)
- Mount Google Drive In Linux With google-drive-ocamlfuse
- Tiny Tiny RSS Ubuntu PPA (Google Reader Alternative)
- Sublime Text 3 Ubuntu PPA (Now Available To Non-Registered Users)
- Test Websites In Internet Explorer 9, 8 and 7 Under Linux / Mac OSX
- AirDroid: Manage Your Android Device Using A Browser
- Conky Manager: A GUI For Managing Conky Configurations
- Encrypt Your Private Dropbox Data With EncFS
- Evernote For Linux: Nevernote (NixNote)
- How To Disable Amazon / Shopping Suggestions And Other Unity Scopes In Ubuntu 14.04 Or 13.10
- 7 Of The Best Ubuntu Terminal (Fixed Width) Fonts
- Script To Fix The Ubuntu Plymouth For Proprietary Nvidia And ATI Graphics Drivers
- Official GNOME Shell Extensions, Weather, System Monitor, MediaPlayer And GPaste Available For GNOME Shell 3.4 [PPA - Ubuntu 12.04]
- How To Get Dodge Windows And Minimize On Click For Unity In Ubuntu 12.04
- Upgrade To Gvfs With MTP Support In Ubuntu 12.10 Or 12.04 To Easily Connect Android 4.0+ Devices
- Things You Do After Installing Ubuntu 12.10
- ownCloud 2: Your Personal Cloud Server
- How To Set Up Unlocator DNS Under Linux To Access Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ABC, Pandora and More Outside The US
- G'MIC: More Than 190 Image Filters And Effects For GIMP
- Download 150 HD Wide Screen Wallpapers [Wallpaper Pack]
- What Font To Use For Your Ubuntu Desktop? Try These!
- Install Oracle Java 7 in Ubuntu via PPA Repository
- Grub Customizer 2.0 Can Change The Default Grub2 Boot Entry, Menu Colors, Background Image And Lots More
- Unity 3D (Launcher, Top Panel) Doesn't Load - Possible Fixes
- How To Use A Launchpad PPA (Add, Remove, Purge, Disable) In Ubuntu
- How To Create A .DEB Package [Ubuntu / Debian]
- Run Mac OSX In Virtualbox Under Linux (Ubuntu) And Windows
- 4 Ways to Create Bootable Live USB Drives (For Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)
- Extract Text From PDFs And Images With gImageReader, A Tesseract OCR GUI
- Everpad Integrates Evernote With Ubuntu Unity (AppIndicator, Lens)
- Adobe Flash Player Hardware Acceleration on Intel Graphics Cards
- How To Install Photoshop CS4 In Ubuntu (Using Wine And PlayOnLinux)
- Install Picasa 3.9 In Linux And Fix Google Sign In Issue [Wine]
- How To Install Microsoft Office 2007 In Ubuntu (Under Wine)
- How To Dual-Boot Android-x86 And Ubuntu (With GRUB 2)
- Increased Performance In Linux With zRam (Virtual Swap Compressed in RAM)
- Create A Bootable Windows 7 USB Drive From Linux (Tested On Ubuntu)
- How To Install Spotify In Ubuntu (Native Client)
- How To Recover GRUB2 [Linux]