- How To Disable GTK3 Client-Side Decorations (Header Bars)
- Save Pidgin Passwords In System Keyring Instead Of Plain Text
- Install OpenJDK Patched With Font Fixes [Ubuntu PPA]
- Convert Audio / Video Files With Selene Media Encoder
- Kubuntu: How To Enable The KDE Appmenu [Global Menu Or Title Bar Button]
- Pair Logitech Unifying Receiver Devices In Linux With Solaar
- Edit Samsung TV Channel List With SamToolBox
- SelekTOR: Tor GUI With Country Exit Node Selection, Useful To Bypass Country Restrictions For Various Websites
- Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu On A Chromebook Using Crouton
- Dukto LAN File Transfer Tool Is Easy To Use, Multi-Platform
The Ubuntu 15.10 and 16.04 MATE PPAs were updated recently with the latest MATE 1.12.1.
According to Martin Wimpress, Project Lead for Ubuntu MATE, the PPAs use the same source packages that he's done for Debian, which are currently being reviewed by the FTP masters and should land in Debian Unstable in a couple of weeks, so they should be safe to use.
I've never actually needed to modify the mouse scroll wheel speed until recently, when I got a new mouse and I wanted to change the scroll wheel settings. That's when I noticed there's no such option in Unity / GNOME Control Center.
I searched for ways to change this under Linux and the easiest to use seems to be "imwheel", a command line tool that can be used to tweak the mouse wheel behavior and which, among others, can change the scroll speed of the mouse wheel, and I decided to share the information with you.
Wildfire Games has released 0 A.D. alpha 19 "Syllepsis" yesterday. This alpha release includes new gameplay features, graphics and user interface changes as well as various under the hood improvements.
0 A.D. is a historical war and economy game that runs on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X, which features several ancient civilizations, from Greece and Rome to Carthage and Persia.
Airnef is a relatively new open source tool which can be used to wirelessly transfer photos and videos from WiFi-equipped Nikon, Sony and Canon cameras to a computer, available for Linux, Windows and Mac.
NixNote is an unofficial Evernote client for Linux which was initially called NeverNote. The application was written in Java until NixNote 2, which is a complete rewrite in C++ using the Qt framework, having better performance and a reduced memory footprint as main goals. The application continues to use Java for encrypting and decrypting text, but that's optional.
On GIMP's 20th birthday (Nov 22), a new version of the free and open source image editor was released: 2.8.16. This is a bugfix release from the 2.8 stable series and it includes the following changes:
In Ubuntu (w/ Unity), some applications/windows open behind focused windows which can be annoying in some cases. Here are a few examples:
- clicking the "open containing folder" in the Firefox downloads menu, the file manager pops up behind the focused window;
- activating applications through indicators doesn't always bring them to the foreground, for instance Pidgin chat windows, the file manager opened via the "Open Dropbox folder" Dropbox AppIndicator menu item, Rhythmbox from the Ubuntu Sound Menu, etc.;
- if there's already a fileroller window open (Archive Manager, a compress/extract job, etc.), the second window you open is not focused.
"When" (or "when-command") is a task scheduler which allows running unattended tasks when certain conditions are met.
Using "When", you can set your desktop to perform various tasks depending on certain conditions. For instance, you can synchronize files, perform some cleanup actions, auto import photos from external storage devices and many other tasks (these are examples and require adding commands or scripts to "When"), all based on conditions such as a command exit code or output, a given time interval, file/folder changes and more.
- Latest articles
- Install MATE 1.12.1 In Ubuntu MATE 15.10 Or 16.04 Via PPA
- Dash Online Search To Be Disabled By Default In Ubuntu 16.04 (Xenial Xerus)
- How To Change The Mouse Scroll Wheel Speed In Linux Using imwheel [Quick Tip]
- `Take A Break` Helps You To Actually... Take A Break From Your Computer
- Ancient Warfare Game 0 A.D. Alpha 19 `Syllepsis` Released
- Wirelessly Transfer Photos From Nikon/Sony/Canon Cameras To Your Computer With Airnef
- Evernote Linux Client `NixNote` 2 Beta 5 Available For Download
- Install GIMP 2.8.16 In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint Via PPA
- Fix For Some Apps Starting Behind Focused Windows In Ubuntu (Compiz)
- Schedule Tasks Based On Various Conditions With `When`
- Display Keystrokes In Your Screencasts With `Screenkey` (Fork)
- 10 Things To Do After Installing Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr To Get A Near Perfect Desktop
- Install Atom Text Editor In Ubuntu Via PPA [32bit + 64bit]
- Install Fresh Player Plugin In Ubuntu Via PPA (Pepper Flash Wrapper For Firefox)
- Syncthing: Open Source BitTorrent Sync Alternative (P2P Sync Tool)
- New Cinnamon Stable Ubuntu PPAs [Ubuntu 14.04 And 12.04]
- Install Google Earth In Ubuntu 14.04 64bit [How To]
- Install Copy.com Client In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint Via PPA (Cloud File Storage, Sync And Sharing Platform)
- Ubuntu Touch Emulator: Installation And Usage In Ubuntu 14.04, 13.10 And 12.04
- Install Android Studio In Ubuntu Via PPA
- How To Install GNOME 3.10 In Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander
- Wallch: Use Wallpaper Clocks, Live Earth, Live Website Wallpapers And More In Ubuntu [Wallpaper Changer]
- How To Install And Tweak GNOME Flashback Session In Ubuntu 14.04
- Install Nemo With Unity Patches (And Without Cinnamon Dependencies) In Ubuntu
- Pipelight: Use Silverlight In Your Linux Browser To Watch Netflix, Maxdome Videos And More
- Install Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu Via PPA Repository [JDK8]
- GIMP 2.9 (2.10 Development Builds) Available In New Ubuntu PPA
- How To Get A Complete GNOME 3 Desktop In Ubuntu 12.10, Without Installing Ubuntu GNOME Remix
- Tor Browser Bundle Ubuntu PPA
- Things To Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin
- Ubuntu Multi-Monitor Tweaks (Full Screen Flash Fixes, Span Wallpaper Across Monitors, More)
- Genymotion: Fast, Easy To Use Android (x86) Emulator With OpenGL Hardware Acceleration Support
- How To Boot An ISO With GRUB2 (The Easy Way!)
- Mount Google Drive In Linux With google-drive-ocamlfuse
- Tiny Tiny RSS Ubuntu PPA (Google Reader Alternative)
- Sublime Text 3 Ubuntu PPA (Now Available To Non-Registered Users)
- Test Websites In Internet Explorer 9, 8 and 7 Under Linux / Mac OSX
- AirDroid: Manage Your Android Device Using A Browser
- Conky Manager: A GUI For Managing Conky Configurations
- Encrypt Your Private Dropbox Data With EncFS
- Evernote For Linux: Nevernote (NixNote)
- How To Disable Amazon / Shopping Suggestions And Other Unity Scopes In Ubuntu 14.04 Or 13.10
- 7 Of The Best Ubuntu Terminal (Fixed Width) Fonts
- Script To Fix The Ubuntu Plymouth For Proprietary Nvidia And ATI Graphics Drivers
- Official GNOME Shell Extensions, Weather, System Monitor, MediaPlayer And GPaste Available For GNOME Shell 3.4 [PPA - Ubuntu 12.04]
- How To Get Dodge Windows And Minimize On Click For Unity In Ubuntu 12.04
- Upgrade To Gvfs With MTP Support In Ubuntu 12.10 Or 12.04 To Easily Connect Android 4.0+ Devices
- Things You Do After Installing Ubuntu 12.10
- ownCloud 2: Your Personal Cloud Server
- How To Set Up Unlocator DNS Under Linux To Access Netflix, Hulu, CBS, ABC, Pandora and More Outside The US
- G'MIC: More Than 190 Image Filters And Effects For GIMP
- Download 150 HD Wide Screen Wallpapers [Wallpaper Pack]
- What Font To Use For Your Ubuntu Desktop? Try These!
- Install Oracle Java 7 in Ubuntu via PPA Repository
- Grub Customizer 2.0 Can Change The Default Grub2 Boot Entry, Menu Colors, Background Image And Lots More
- Unity 3D (Launcher, Top Panel) Doesn't Load - Possible Fixes
- How To Use A Launchpad PPA (Add, Remove, Purge, Disable) In Ubuntu
- Run Mac OSX In Virtualbox Under Linux (Ubuntu) And Windows
- 4 Ways to Create Bootable Live USB Drives (For Windows, Linux and Mac OS X)
- Extract Text From PDFs And Images With gImageReader, A Tesseract OCR GUI
- Everpad Integrates Evernote With Ubuntu Unity (AppIndicator, Lens)
- Adobe Flash Player Hardware Acceleration on Intel Graphics Cards
- How To Install Photoshop CS4 In Ubuntu (Using Wine And PlayOnLinux)
- Install Picasa 3.9 In Linux And Fix Google Sign In Issue [Wine]
- How To Install Microsoft Office 2007 In Ubuntu (Under Wine)
- How To Dual-Boot Android-x86 And Ubuntu (With GRUB 2)
- Increased Performance In Linux With zRam (Virtual Swap Compressed in RAM)
- Create A Bootable Windows 7 USB Drive From Linux (Tested On Ubuntu)
- How To Install Spotify In Ubuntu (Native Client)
- How To Recover GRUB2 [Linux]