ownCloud is a free software alternative to some proprietary web services that you can install on your own computer or server, which includes file management with built-in file sharing (like Dropbox), music streaming, calendar, contacts and more.
ownCloud 4 has been released today, getting some much requested features like file encryption, file versioning, a new TODO app and more!
Changes in ownCloud 4.0:
- File encryption (some file types can be excluded from the encryption)
- File versioning wchich lets you roll back some files to their previous versions
- Mounting of external Filesystems (experimental), including Dropbox, FTP and Google Drive
- TODOs (Tasks) App
- Drag & Drop File Uploading
- Shared Calendars
- Calendar categories
- Hugely improved contacts app including groups
- Improved WebDAV, CalDAV, CardDAV compatibility
- Movable Apps
- Improved External App
- Improved Sharing of Files
- Overall Performance Improvements
- System/User Exporting/Importing
- User/Groups support via LDAP/AD
- Viewer for ODF Files
- Improved Photo Gallery
- Improved installation of 3rd Party Apps
- Logging via syslog
- New public API for App developers
- Lots of bug fixes, smaller enhancements and UX improvements.
|File versioning in ownCloud 4|
The new encryption, versioning, mounting external filesystems and todo app (Tasks) are available as plugins so to enable them, click on the settings icon on the left and you'll find them under "Apps":
After enabling the External Storage Support app, nothing showed up in the ownCloud interface so I'm not sure how to use this new feature to use Dropbox or Google Drive with ownCloud. If you figure out how it works, let us know in the comments!
You can try ownCloud before you install it by going to http://demo.owncloud.org/
For how to manually install ownCloud in Ubuntu, see THIS post.
Recently, ownCloud got an Android application so you can easily access your files using a mobile device. And iOS app is also in the works.
ownCloud doesn't come with a sync client by default, but there are sync clients available for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. For Ubuntu, see this post: Desktop Syncing Comes To ownCloud Through Mirall And Csync.
info via karlitschek.de