Pithos 1.2.0 was released today and it includes a new explicit content filter option, new dialog design, along with other improvements and important bug fixes.
Pithos is a Pandora Radio client that integrates tightly with the desktop, providing notifications, an Ubuntu AppIndicator, MPRIS v2 support (so it integrates with the Ubuntu Sound indicator, etc.), media keys and more.
The app supports Pandora features like thumbs up / thumbs down / tired of this song options, the ability to switch between Pandora stations, and editing and creating stations. On top of that, Pithos also provides proxy support and last.fm scrobbling.
In case you're not familiar with Pandora Radio, this is a popular music streaming and recommendation service that's only available in the United States, Australia and New Zealand.
Changes in Pithos 1.2.0:
- redesign all dialogs to use Headerbars (the main window does not use Headerbars);
- redesign stations dropdown as a Popover with searching and sorting;
- add explicit content filter option;
- add extensive keyboard shortcuts for the main window, and a Keyboard Shortcuts help window for GTK 3.20+;
- fix high CPU usage with Ubuntu's default theme;
- fix Ubuntu sometimes showing wrong art in notifications;
- fix 'now playing' not being set on Last.fm;
- mpris: Effectively rewritten to better follow the spec, and reference album art as locally downloaded files;
- add initial support for translations (translators needed!);
- store password with SecretService (libsecret);
- migrate build system to Autotools;
- migrate settings to GSettings;
- remove all dependencies on dbus-python;
- improve integration with Flatpak: use Gio to open URIs, and rename icons and data files to match app id.
|Pithos 1.2.0 dialogs|
Since the Keyboard Shortcuts help window is only available with GTK 3.20, I'll make a list with the keyboard shortcuts available in Pithos 1.2.0:
- Play/Pause: Space
- Skip song: <Primary> + Right
- Volume up: <Primary> + Up
- Volume down: <Primary> + Down
- Love song: <Primary> + l (that's an "L")
- Unrate song: <Primary> + u
- Ban song: <Primary> + b
- Tired song: <Primary> + t
- Bookmark song: <Primary> + d
- Open song information: <Primary> + i
Where <Primary> is usually the Ctrl key, but it can also be the Super (Windows) key.
Ubuntu 16.04 / Linux Mint 18 users can install the latest Pithos 1.2.0 by using its official PPA. An older Pithos version is available for Ubuntu 14.04. Add the PPA and install Pithos using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pithos/ppa sudo apt update sudo apt install pithos
The latest Pithos can't be built in Ubuntu 14.04 or 12.04, and there are no packages for other Ubuntu versions because they are no longer supported by Canonical (Ubuntu 15.10 reached end of life today).
Update: The package missing the "gir1.2-secret-1" dependency issue has been fixed.
Arch Linux can install the latest Pithos via AUR.