Geary is an email client that uses a simple, modern interface, especially created for GNOME 3. Geary 0.11.0, released today, includes new features, improved server compatibility and network reliability, and various bug fixes.
|Geary 0.11.0 in Ubuntu GNOME (GNOME Shell) 16.04|
Geary features include:
- quick account setup;
- supports Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Outlook.com, and popular IMAP servers (Dovecot, Cyrus, Zimbra, etc.);
- mail organized by conversations;
- ability to answer directly in conversations or open it in a separate window
- signature support;
- full-featured HTML mail composer;
- fast keyword search with values like from:john;
- desktop notification of new mail.
After Yorba Foundation, the open source company that developed Geary, stopped its activities, the future of the application was unclear. elementary OS, which was using Geary as its default email client, forked the project back in November 2015, continuing its development under the Pantheon Mail name.
In March 2016, Michael Gratton, an old Geary contributor, became an unofficial maintainer (until he can fulfill the GNOME membership application requirements), posting his patches to GNOME Bugzilla while still requiring Adam Dingle, Yorba founder, to commit them.
More about this @ Wikipedia.
|Geary 0.11.0 in Ubuntu (Unity) 16.04|
Changes in Geary 0.11.0:
- added archive special folder support;
- added is:read, is:unread: is:starred search operators;
- fixed using multiple search operators - to:, from:, etc.;
- work around crashes caused by WebKitGTK+ 2.4.10;
- fixed a crash when searching;
- fixed images not being displayed in some HTML messages;
- fixed empty main window when opened from notification;
- fixed UI freezing when network connections are lost;
- work better with Cyrus & other servers when network unreliable;
- enabled the use of custom FTS3 tokeniser in SQLite 3.12 and later;
- fixed inconsistent Composer 'Detach' button placement;
- documentation improvements;
- updated UI translations.
Install Geary in Ubuntu or Linux Mint
Geary is available in the official Debian / Ubuntu / Linux Mint (and derivatives) repositories - tough it's not the latest version -, so to install it, simply use the following command:
sudo apt install geary
The version available in the official repositories is not the latest 0.11.0. To install Geary 0.11.0 in Ubuntu 16.04, 15.10 or 14.04, Linux Mint 18 or 17.x and derivatives, you can use its new official PPA. Add the PPA and install Geary using the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geary-team/releases sudo apt update sudo apt install geary
Download Geary 0.11.0 source.
Thanks to Michael for the tip!