ownCloud, the free software alternative to proprietary web services such as Dropbox, Google Drive and others, reached version 9.
For those not familiar with ownCloud, this is a software suite that you can install on your server, which comes with a web interface that provides access to file management, calendar, image gallery, music player, document viewer and much more.
For desktops and mobile devices, you can use the ownCloud Client, which works similar to Dropbox and other such apps, and allowing you to choose what to sync, and it even provides Nemo and Nautius integration.
ownCloud 9.0 is, according to its developers, the biggest release so far and it includes new features as well as numerous performance improvements and bug fixes.
|File comments and tags in ownCloud 9|
Important changes in ownCloud 9 include:
- much improved collaboration thanks to the introduction of comments (you can now comment on any file and see what others comment) and tags, along with improved notifications and activity feed;
- easier sharing between different ownCloud servers, with cross-server username auto complete, trusted servers and more;
- new storage API that enables deeper integration with storage solutions and updated sharing code to handle more shares with more users;
- a new, stand-alone updater was added;
- code signing to ensure the integrity of your ownCloud installation
- improved Calendar and Contacts apps;
- much more!
To see the new comments feature, check out the video below:
(direct video link)
Check out THIS page for all the ownCloud 9 release highlights.
Install ownCloud server in Ubuntu
To install ownCloud (server) in Ubuntu, you can use its official repository (currently it only supports Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.10!). Add the repository and install ownCloud server using the following commands:
- for Ubuntu 15.10:
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/xUbuntu_15.10/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/owncloud.list" wget http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/xUbuntu_15.10/Release.key sudo apt-key add - < Release.key rm Release.key sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install owncloud
- for Ubuntu 14.04:
sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/xUbuntu_14.04/ /' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/owncloud.list" wget http://download.owncloud.org/download/repositories/stable/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key sudo apt-key add - < Release.key rm Release.key sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install owncloud
And finally, access ownCloud in a web browser, by visiting: http://localhost/owncloud/
You may also want to check out the ownCloud documentation.