TeamViewer is a popular application for remote control, desktop sharing, file transfer, online meetings and more, that's available for Windows, Mac OSX, Linux, Android and iPhone.
The application is free (freeware) for personal use and the Linux version uses Wine, which comes bundled with it (so users don't have to install Wine to be able to use TeamViewer).
TeamViewer 10 was released recently and it comes with significant performance optimizations as well as new features, like Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Box integration, chat history and persistent chat groups, real-time session notes and more.
One of the most useful new features added to TeamViewer 10 is cloud storage integration, which can be used to share files from your Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive and Box accounts during meetings or remote control sessions. This can be accessed from the TeamViewer FileBox:
Another interesting change available with the latest TeamViewer 10 is that Whiteboard is now available during remote control. Whiteboard is great for online training sessions and it can be used to select, underline, highlight, circle and more - kind of like what the popular Linux screenshot tool `Shutter` can do, but for screen sharing.
Other changes in TeamViewer 10 include:
- central setting policies (requires a TeamViewer license): apply setting policies, distribute them, and enforce them if necessary, all via the Management Console. Any changes to setting policies are automatically applied to all installations;
- master whitelist: permit access to all your devices using just one whitelist;
- chat history and persistent chat groups;
- one-click video calls (no need to start a meeting);
- you can now add a profile picture, displayed in the Computers & Contacts list, chat window, request dialogs and other similar locations;
- automatically find nearby contacts;
- 4K display support;
- real-time session notes;
- various parts of the UI were redesigned;
- Computers & Contacts API is now available;
- user-defined session timeout limits;
- various Mac OS X Yosemite improvements.
Also, with this release, a TeamViewer BlackBerry app for remote control is available as a preview.
It's important to mention that TeamViewer 10 can establish connections to TeamViewer version 3 or higher however, older TeamViewer versions (9, 8, etc.) won't be able to connect to TeamViewer 10.
Download TeamViewer 10
Download TeamViewer (for Linux, Windows, Mac or mobile)
Ubuntu 64bit: download and install the "32-Bit / 64-Bit Multiarch" package. Installing the 64bit package on Ubuntu 64bit won't work, because it depends on the "ia32-libs" package, which is no longer available in the official repositories for Ubuntu versions newer than 12.04.