Five months after the last alpha, NixNote 2 beta is finally available for download.
NixNote, previously known as Nevernote, is an unofficial Evernote client for Linux which was initially written in Java. NixNote 2 is a complete rewrite of NixNote in C++ using the Qt framework, having speed and a reduced memory footprint as the main goals. Java is still used for encrypting / decrypting text in NixNote 2, but it's optional so you don't have to install it if you don't need this feature.
Evernote is a note-taking service that supports saving text, full webpages, voice memos, video notes and more with a lot of useful features. There are official Evernote clients available for Windows, OS X, and mobile platforms but not for Linux.
Here are the changes in the latest NixNote 2 beta since the last alpha:
- support for reminders;
- ability to capture images from a webcam;
- you can open a note for editing in a new window;
- if you enable uploads, linked notebooks will now be sent;
- support for encrypted text (RC2 only);
- you can pin or unpin notes;
- you can add HTML entities via a dialog box;
- basic support for note history (Evernote premium users only);
- you can now open/close notebooks;
- note title colors can be changed (not synchronized);
- supports importing Evernote extract files (enex);
- you can do backups, restores, imports & exports to NixNote extract files (nnex);
- spell check has been added;
- significant performance improvements when loading notes with a lot of resources and when generating thumbnails;
- sync is more efficient, faster, & should resume properly after interrupts;
- many other smaller changes and bug fixes;
- deb, rpm and tar.gz (with install script) available for download.
Unfortunately, some features from NixNote 1.x are not yet fully implemented (they may not be implemented at all), like synchronizing note colors or selective notebook sync. Also, encrypted databases won't be supported in NixNote 2.
For more information on NixNote 2, including known issues, see the Beta 1 downloads page.
Download NixNote 2
Download NixNote 2 (deb, rpm and tar.gz files available for download).
Ubuntu users: The deb files work in Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.04 only (it won't work in Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 due to the required dependencies which aren't available in older Ubuntu versions)!
Important: if you've used NixNote 2 before this beta, you must delete the ~/.nixnote folder:
rm -r ~/.nixnote
It's also worth mentioning that syncing with Evernote is disabled by default. To enable it, from the NixNote 2 menu select Edit > Preferences and enable syncing on the Sync tab. Then select Tools > Synchronize to start synchronizing NixNote 2 with Evernote.