Nuvola Player is a cloud music player that integrates music services such as Grooveshark, Google Play Music, Amazon Cloud Player, Pandora, Rdio, Hype Machine or 8tracks, with your desktop.
With Nuvola Player, you get notifications, Unity quicklists, multimedia keys support, Mpris v2 support (Ubuntu Sound Menu / GNOME Shell Media Player extension integration), lyrics fetching, last.fm scrobbling, proxy support and more.
Nuvola Player 2.2.0 has been released recently, bringing new features such as support for Bandcamp (an online music store and platform for artist promotion that caters mainly to independent artists) as well as bug fixes.
Changes in Nuvola Player 2.2.0:
- new service supported: Bancamp;
- Nuvola Player now supports scrobbling to libre.fm, a last.fm alternative;
- Last.fm love and ban actions are now available from the main menu, tray ion and Unity quicklist;
- some services allow downloading songs - Nuvola player now features a simple download manager to allow downloading songs from these services;
- bug fixes, including Google Play playback status detection, enable links to song downloading for Google Play, fixed metadata and playback status parsing for Deezer;
|Nuvola Player plugins|
Sadly, the same day Nuvola Player 2.2.0 was released, a message was posted on its Google Plus page, mentioning that Nuvola Player needs a new maintainer because the main developer, Jiří Janoušek, doesn't have enough time to continue the development. If you can adopt the project, contact Jiří at the Nuvola Player Development mailing list.
Install Nuvola Player in Ubuntu
Ubuntu users can install the latest stable Nuvola Player by using its official PPA. Add the PPA and install Nuvola Player using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nuvola-player-builders/stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nuvolaplayer
There are also PPAs for beta and unstable builds.
Debian: Nuvola Player is avialable in a repository.
Arch Linux users can install Nuvola Player via AUR: stable | unstable (bzr).
For other Linux distributions, see the Nuvola Player downloads page.