CoverArt Browser is a Rhythmbox plugin that lets you browse and play your music library using an album art view.
The plugin comes with many useful features which basically transform Rhythmbox into a new music player:
- configurable search (all fields, albums, artists, etc.);
- display all your music or only the play queue, top rated, recently added or recently played;
- it integrates with another plugin to allow downloading cover art for all your albums;
- export albums art in the tracks, useful to display cover art on mobile devices;
- an optional tracks pane is available so you can easily view the tracks available in an album;
- can be set to start automatically when launching Rhythmbox;
- higly customizable;
The latest CoverArt Browser 0.9, released today, brings important changes like a stylish new coverflow view which supports 4 different styles:
All the coverflow styles are customizable and you can set the width, scale, show or hide caption, select the maximum number of covers to display or background color:
Besides the new coverflow view, CoverArt Browser 0.9 also comes with the following changes:
- support for Rhythmbox 2.99;
- support for Python 3 for the upcoming Rhythmbox 3.0;
- advanced options to control the icon-view spacing and selection padding - this can give a very different look to the plugin;
- toggle buttons to switch view as well as new Properties button;
- access preferences for both Search and Browser plugins via Properties button;
- play random albums from your current playlist & search filters;
- quick filter track artists via Properties button;
- track view can be toggled automatically on click as well as configured to manually open.
The Rhythmbox python3 support is not available in the PPA packages to to use this plugin with Rhythmbox 3.0, you must install the plugin manually!
Install Rhythmbox CoverArt Browser plugin in Ubuntu
Ubuntu Saucy, Raring, Quantal and Precise users can install the latest Rhythmbox CoverArt Browser plugin by using fossfreedom's PPA, which by the way, contains many other useful Rhythmbox plugins. Add the PPA and install the plugin using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fossfreedom/rhythmbox-plugins sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rhythmbox-plugin-coverart-browser
After the installation, launch Rhythmbox and enable CoverArt Browser from the Rhythmbox Plugins dialog.
For other Linux distributions, see the installation instructions available on the CoverArt Browser GitHub page.
Report any bugs you may encounter @ GitHub.