SparkleShare, an open source file synchronization and collaboration tool similar to Dropbox, has been updated to version 1.1.0 recently, receiving many bug fixes and tweaks.
SparkleShare is available for Linux, Windows and Mac OSX and it uses GIT version control under the hood so setting up a host is pretty easy. Besides using it on your own server, Sparkleshare supports some code hosting services out of the box, such as GitHub, Bitbucket or Gitorious.
The application comes with a recent changes window which displays what changed along with options to restore files to their previous versions or restore deleted files, it supports client-side encryption, conflict handling, notifications and it comes with an Ubuntu AppIndicator.
SparkleShare 1.1.0, released recently, includes the following bug fixes and tweaks:
- new plugin for plan.io, a project management platform;
- SparkleShare now works with host keys other than just RSA;
- stricter permissions on the SparkleShare folder on Unix systems;
- use large message tray icon on GNOME 3 (though due to packaging probably, the PPA builds don't have this yet);
- don't show notifications for changes that you made yourself;
- "%20" and "_" in project names become spaces in folder names;
- open folders in the event log by clicking project names;
- allow spaces in passwords;
- change invite scheme to sparkleshare://addProject/$URL;
- fixed retina Mac support;
- don't sync files with names that are problematic on Windows;
- show Client ID (link code) in the status icon menu;
- many other bug fixes and tweaks;
Install SparkleShare in Ubuntu
Ubuntu users can install the latest SparkleShare by using a (unofficial) PPA. To install Sparkleshare in Ubuntu, firstly you must add the GIT PPA (the SparkleShare PPA depends on it):
Then you can proceed to installing SparkleShare:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:git-core/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rebuntu16/sparkleshare+unofficial sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install sparkleshare libmono-posix4.0-cil
Once installed, you can add a hosted project by selecting "Add hosted project" from the tray / appindicator menu, then select the service: Bitbucket, Github, Gitorious or Plan.io (plan.io is the last one in the list and shows up as Gitorious for some reason).
For how to use SparkleShare with your own server and more, see the application homepage.
Download SparkleShare for Linux (source), Windows and Mac OS X.