After more than a year of work, Mixxx 1.11.0 has been released recently, featuring a new beat detector, colored 3-band waveforms and many other new features as well as various bug fixes and performance improvements.
Mixxx is an advanced free / open source DJ software for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X. Among its main features are: parallel or split scratchable waveform displays, spinning vinyl widgets, MP3, OGG, WAVE, M4A / AAC, and FLAC playback with support for extra formats through plugins, Shoutcast and Icecast broadcasting, microphone support, automatic crossfading with Auto DJ, crates and playlists, reads iTunes, Traktor, and Rhythmbox libraries, pitch-independent time stretch, vinyl emulation, BPM detection and estimation and much more.
Despite having many advanced features, Mixxx isn't that hard to use, although its interface may seem a bit confusing at first. Also, Mixxx comes with various skins, each optimized for multiple screen resolutions.
New features in the latest Mixxx 1.11.0:
- colored, 3-band Waveforms;
- brand New Beat Detector;
- HID and Bulk Controller Support, with HID presets for: EKS Otus, Traktor Kontrol F1, Hercules DJ Console Mk1, Mk2 and MP3 e2, Nintendo Wiimote, Pioneer CDJ 850/900/2000 and Sony SixxAxis;
- session history;
- new effect, "Beatloop Rolls", that works just like a beatloop except when you release the button the deck jumps to where it would have been if you hadn't started the loop;
- Preview Deck: preview tracks in your headphones without having to load them into a main deck;
- advanced search, e.g.: find all tracks between 100 and 120 BMP with a rating greater than 4 using "bpm:100-120 rating:>4". More about this in the Mixxx manual;
- improved AutoDJ;
- point-and-click MIDI mapping;
- new Sample Grid skin;
- time widgets;
- Sample Deck Improvements;
- improved user manual;
- new controller support: Mixxx certified: Allen & Heath Xone K2, EKS Otus, Keith McMillen Instruments QuNeo and Vestax VCI-400 but there's also community support for Akai LPD8, American Audio VMS2, Hercules DJ Console Mk1, Hercules DJ Control AIR, Nintendo Wiimote, Traktor Kontrol F1 and mano thers;
For a complete list of changes and new features in Mixxx 1.11.0, see its official changelog.
Install Mixxx in Ubuntu
Ubuntu users can install the latest Mixxx DJ software by using its official PPA. Add the PPA and install it using the following commands:
If you don't want to use a PPA or don't need the latest version, you can try the older version available in the official Ubuntu repositories / Ubuntu Software Center:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mixxx/mixxx sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mixxx libportaudio2
Download Mixxx (available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X)