CoverArt Browser, a Rhythmbox plugin that lets you browse and play music using an album art view, has been updated to version 0.8 recently, getting improvements such as option to export embedded cover art in the album tracks, new light and dark icon theme and more.
For those not familiar with CoverArt Browser for Rhythmbox, this is a plugin that comes with features such as:
- configurable search (all fields, albums, artists, etc.);
- sort albums by: name, artist, year, rating, genre or decades;
- display all music or play queue, top rated, recently added or recently played;
- can automatically fetch album covers for all your albums;
The latest CoverArt Browser Rhythmbox plugin comes with the following additions:
- export albums and embed cover art in the album tracks - useful to display cover art on mobile devices;
- the cover art search is now a separate plugin;
- new light & dark theme buttons to complement light & dark desktop themes
- optional flat-button toolbar style;
- use album and album-artist sort order tags for sorting if these values are utilized;
- play from Cover-view and Track view instead of queuing & playing;
- allow user-defined genre names to be created mapped against default system genre icons;
- allow user-defined genre icons to be displayed. These can override system genre icons if required;
- support for other plugins via right-click menu options in a similar manner as the Library Browser.
Please note that CoverArt Browser doesn't support the latest Rhythmbox 2.99, like most of the Rhythmbox plugins (and that's why I didn't upload Rhythmbox 2.99 in the WebUpd8 Rhythmbox PPA) for now.
Install CoverArt Browser for Rhythmbox in Ubuntu
Ubuntu users can use fossfreedom's PPA (which has many other useful Rhythmbox plugins) to install the latest CoverArt Browser Rhythmbox plugin, by using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fossfreedom/rhythmbox-plugins sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install rhythmbox-plugin-coverart-browser
For other Linux distributions, see the installation instructions available on the CoverArt Browser GitHub page.
Report any bugs you may encounter @ GitHub.