The first Audacious 3.4 beta version is available for download. Audacious is a fast, lightweight music player which comes with numerous plugins and two interfaces: a Winamp-like interface (it even supports Winamp 2.x skins) and a GTK interface.
Audacious GTK interface:
Audacious Winamp Classic interface:
Changes in Audacious 3.4 beta 1:
- The old scrobbler plugin has been replaced by a new one that uses the latest Last.fm Scrobbling 2.0 API;
- The ModPlug plugin has a new preferences window;
- An alternate sample rate converter plugin has been added;
- When search terms are too generic, the search tool now shows the first 100 results instead of showing no results as in previous versions;
- Audtool can now seek with sub-second precision;
- Album art fetching is done in the background so it doesn't make the UI unresponsive;
- New command line option: "--quit-after-play";
- You can configure a global hotkey to enable/disable "stop after current song";
- You can now automatically remove duplicate entries from a playlist;
- Repeat only a portion of a song;
- The playlist columns can now be resized - according to the official changelog, this requires a patched version of GTK3 and will work with GTK3.8 without any patches. In my test, this did work in Ubuntu 13.04 (which has GTK 3.6.4);
- Other changes and fixes.
Install Audacious 3.4 Beta 1 in Ubuntu
The latest Audacious 3.4 beta 1 is available in our Unstable PPA. Since this is beta quality software, you might find bugs (and so are all the packages in this PPA), so use it at your own risk.
To add the WebUpd8 Unstable PPA and install Audacious 3.4 beta 1 (with patched ffaudio so it works with the ffmpeg / libav version available in the Ubuntu repositories) in Ubuntu 13.04, 12.10 and 12.04, use the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/unstable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install audacious
Audacious 3.4 will only be available in our Unstable PPA while in beta. The final release will be available in the main WebUpd8 PPA.
For other Linux distributions, download the Audacious 3.4 beta 1 source code from its download page.