The official Ubuntu Touch installation instructions are only for Ubuntu, so if you're running Windows, the instructions won't work for you. So here's how to install Ubuntu Touch if you're using Windows.
Firstly, download the images for your device from HERE:
- You'll need to download the files specific for your device as well as "quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip".
- The files which have "maguro" in the filename are for Galaxy Nexus, "mako" for Nexus 4, "grouper" for Nexus 7 and "manta" for Nexus 10.
Now you can get started. Please note that I didn't test these instructions as I don't own a Nexus device (and I'm not using Windows either) - the instructions are thanks to Omer Akram, via Ubuntu-phone mailing list.
Before proceeding, remember that the Ubuntu Touch interface is currently only available as a preview, for developers and you shouldn't install it for every day usage! Some things have not been implemented yet and there are many bugs!
1. Unlock the device using THESE instructions which should work with Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, 7 and 10, even though the article mentions only Galaxy Nexus. The article also mentions how to install fastboot which you'll need later on.
2. (If you already have Clockworkmod Recovery installed, you can skip this step)
While in the boatloader mode, only flash the recovery file (quantal-preinstalled-recovery-armel+DEVICE_CODENAME.img) which you've previously downloaded, by using the following command in the command prompt window:
fastboot flash recovery quantal-preinstalled-recovery-armel+DEVICE_CODENAME.img
In the command above, replace "DEVICE_CODENAME" with the codename for your device as it's explained above.
3. Reboot and copy the following files to the phone / tablet:
4. Power off the Nexus device, start the bootloader mode, navigate to "Recovery" and press the power button to select it. This will start the Clockworkmod Recovery.
Here, select "install zip from sdcard", then select "Choose zip from sdcard" and firstly select "quantal-preinstalled-armel+DEVICE_CODENAME.zip" and flash it, then flash "quantal-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip"
5. Reboot the device and you're done.