Audacious is a fast, lightweight music player that focuses on high audio quality. The application comes with a huge list of plugins and with two interfaces: a GTK interface (used by default) and a Winamp 2.x like interface (to which you can switch from the menu: View > Interface > Winamp Classic Interface).
Audacious has been updated to version 3.3.3 recently and is now available, as usual, in the main WebUpd8 PPA, for Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10. There are no new features in this release, only bug fixes:
- Export more metadata information through MPRIS2
- "Close to tray icon" doesn't work when using Winamp interface
- Mixed stereo/mono OGG streaming don't play properly
- Fixed fsync() error which was returned for files on read-only mediums such as a CD-ROM
- PSF plugin skips silences even when they are in the middle of a song
- Ogg vorbis tags do not update
- "Close Playlist" dialog ignores GTK dialog button order
- Cannot find decoder for certain urls
The Audacious media player package in our PPA uses a patch to get ffaudio (vma / wav files) to work with the FFMpeg version available in the official Ubuntu repositories and with this release, I've had to add yet another patch to get everything to work on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10. Hopefully everything will work properly (I didn't encounter any issues in my tests).
Here are a few more Audacious 3.3.3 screenshots:
|Winamp 2 like interface|
|The interface is as customizable as Winamp 2 and it even supports Winamp 2 skins|
Install Audacious 3.3.3 in Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04
To add the main WebUpd8 PPA and install Audacious Media Player in Ubuntu 12.10 or 12.04, use the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install audacious
If you're upgrading from an older version, make sure you upgrade all the Audacious packages (use "sudo apt-get upgrade" or Software Updater / Synaptic).
For other Linux distributions and Windows, get Audacious from its download page.