GNOME MPlayer 1.0.7 has been released recently, getting support for MPRIS v2 (e.g. Ubuntu Sound Menu integration), along with other enhancements.
GNOME MPlayer is a GTK2/GTK3 frontend for MPlayer which, besides playing audio and video files, it supports DVD and MKV chapters, cover art retrieval from Amazon.com for audio files and other useful features.
Changes in GNOME MPlayer 1.0.7:
- Implemented MPRIS2
- Support for the anamorphic aspect ratio (2.39:1)
- Screensaver inhibit rework (inhibits screensaver when a video is playing)
- Use the GTK3 symbolic icons when running in GTK3 mode
- Added y, g, and J hotkeys to match mplayer hotkeys
- Many bug fixes, including: scroll wheel fix, preferences & dconf issue fix, keyboard shortcut fixes and more.
A complete changelog can be found HERE.
Install GNOME MPlayer 1.0.7 in Ubuntu 12.10
Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal users can install GNOME MPlayer 1.0.7 using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gilir/lubuntu sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gnome-mplayer
The GNOME Mplayer source can be downloaded from Google Code.