The eleventh alpha version of 0 A.D. has been released by Wildfire Games yesterday. 0 A.D. is an open source, real-time strategy game that works on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X and features excellent graphics and sound but, since it's in alpha, there are also some missing features like settings, multiplayer matchmaking service and others.
0 A.D. alpha 11 "Kronos" brings a lot of in-game changes:
- You can now create gates, which can be locked or unlocked
- New sound system which supports Mac OS X. The new system also sets a solid framework for future sound features, such as having the sounds change depending on how much you are zooming in on the map, or on the severity of a battle occurring in-game.
- New AI script: Aegis Bot
- New Celtic Factions: Britons and Gauls will now replace the generic Celtic faction
- You can see whatever parts of the map your allies have explored and vice versa
- Graphic improvements: several post-processing effects and mapping enhancements have been implemented using OpenGL Shading Language, but they are experimental so they are disabled by default in 0 A.D. alpha 11, but can be turned on by changing the user config file
- New art assets
- Seven new maps: Pyrenean Sierra, Oasis, Northern Lights, Lorraine Plain, Sahel Watering Holes, Gear and Unknown
- You can now import an image file and Atlas will transform it into a 3d map
- Three new music tracks. You can listen all the available tracks in 0 A.D. alpha 11, here.
- Other changes: Game setup and score screen changes, queued rally points, more realistic ranged attack, team & private multiplayer chat and cheats. A cheats manual can be found here.
Here is a video demoing the new gates feature implemented in the latest 0 A.D. alpha 11 Kronos:
(direct video link)
Install 0 A.D in Ubuntu
The latest 0 A.D. is available for Ubuntu 12.10, 12.04, 11.10, 11.04 and 10.04 in a PPA. Add it and install 0 A.D. using the commands below:
There's also a PPA that provides weekly 0 A.D. development snapshots.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wfg/0ad sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install 0ad
0 A.D. is also available for Windows, Mac OS X and other Linux distributions.
The 0 A.D. developers are looking for contributors in programming, art, sound, documentation and more. If you can help, contact the developers @ #0ad-dev on QuakeNet and register on the 0 A.D. forums.
info and screenshot via 0 A.D.