Among the changes included in the latest GIMP 2.8.2 are:
- Mention that the image was exported in the close warning dialog
- Fix the visibility logic of the export/overwrite menu items
- Remove all "Use GEGL" menu items, they only add bugs and zero function
- Improve performance of display filters, especially color management
- Fix the image window title to comply with the save/export spec and use the same image name everywhere, not only in the title
- Fix positioning of pasted/dropped stuff to be more reasonable
- Fix remembering of JPEG load/save defaults
- Mac OSX / Windows fixes
The 2.8.x series won't include any new features, just bug fixes. The plan is to add full GEGL support, high bit depths, an unified transform tool and other new features with GIMP 2.10 and finally port GIMP to GTK3 with version 3.0.
Install GIMP 2.8.2 in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin
The PPA that provides GIMP 2.8.x for Ubuntu 12.04 users has been updated today with the latest GIMP 2.8.2.
To add the PPA and install GIMP 2.8.2 in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, use the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gimp
For source files, Windows and Mac OSX installers, see the GIMP download page.