TV-Maxe is an application that you can use to watch TV stations online, through a P2P technology called SopCast. It comes with two TV channel lists by default: one international and one Romanian, but more unofficial lists are available on its wiki (for France, Hungary, United Kingdom, Danmark, Spain, Russia and Ukraine).
TV-Maxe 0.07 has been released recently, bringing some important changes both under-the-hood as well as to the end users:
- HTTP remote control: TV Maxe already had support for remote control via infrared, but the latest version also comes with HTTP remote control so all you need is a mobile phone or tabled with a working network connection to change TV channels, play/stop TV maxe and change or mute the volume.
- Gstreamer support which is more stable than the Mplayer or the VLC backends
- Separation of protocol engines and multimedia backends
- Faster startup
- Support for streams with multiple audio tracks
- Added support for multiple Sopcast sources for the same channel
- Channel list filtering
- Deleted channels management
- Extended support for RTMP streams
Install TV-Maxe (SopCast Player) in Ubuntu
To install the latest TV-Maxe in Ubuntu 12.10, 12.04, 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 or 10.04, use the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:venerix/pkg sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install tv-maxe
For .rpm and source files, see the TV-Maxe downloads page.
via blog.ov1d1u.net (in Romanian)