Speed Dreams is an open source, multi platform (works on Windows and Linux) motorsport simulator that was forked from the open racing simulator TORCS with the purpose of adding new features such as new cars, tracks, AI opponents and making the game more enjoyable and realistic.
After quite a long development cycle, Speed Dreams 2.0 stable has finally been released with some important new features:
- New and much improved tracks: 21 tracks ranging from highly detailed Grand Prix circuits to winding roadways or tricky off-road tracks
- New cars and new car sets - you can choose among 29 racing cars in 84 skins
- Time of day and weather conditions for any race type and track
- Improved physics engine and tweaked AI opponents for a more realistic driving experience and maximum challenge
- New career mode allowing gamers to take on a lifetime professional career
- Extended 3D OpenGL and CPU options for better effects and more performance
- New game menu design - cool design and improved usability
Speed Dreams 2.0 doesn't include multiplayer support as it was initially planned because the developers didn't have enough time to implement it. So if you can help complete the network game play and further improve features and graphics, check out THIS page.
Here are a few Speed Dreams 2.0 screenshots and a video:
(direct video link)
For more videos, see HERE.
Install Speed Dreams in Ubuntu
Speed Dreams is available in a PPA for Ubuntu 12.04, 11.10, 11.04 and 10.04 - add the PPA and install the latest Speed Dreams using the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:speed-dreams/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install speed-dreams
For other Linux distributions and Windows, Speed Dreams is available for download @ Sourceforge and on Desura.
info via speed-dreams.org, thanks to Bart for the tip!