Terminator is a very interesting terminal emulator that lets you use multiple terminals in the same window (split view). It supports notifications (through 'watch for activity' plugin), tabs, can save / restore custom layouts and more.
The latest Terminator 0.96 re-adds a so called "quake mode" feature (more info and how to launch Terminator using a custom layout, here). Other features in the latest Terminator 0.96 include:
- Unity support for opening new windows
- Searching by regular expression
- Improve and extend drag&drop support to include more sources of text, e.g. Gtk file chooser path buttons
- Add a plugin to watch a terminal for inactvity
- Add configuration to remove terminal dimensions from titlebars
- many bug fixes
A Terminator BZR build with built-in "quake-mode" was already available in our Unstable PPA, but now it's finally available as a stable release. Here's a video I've recoded a while back, demoing this feature as well as using multiple terminals in the same window:
The latest Terminator 0.96 is not yet available in its official PPA, but you can already install it in Ubuntu 11.10, 11.04, 10.10 and 10.04 by using the WebUpd8 PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install terminator
If you're not using Ubuntu, download Terminator via Launchpad.