Midnight Commander (MC) is a visual console file manager that allows you to copy, move and delete files and whole directory trees, search for files and run commands in the subshell. Internal viewer and editor are included.
Midnight Commander 4.7.5 (stable) was released last week. Here are the changes since version 4.7.4:
- Repeat previous quicksearch on C-s C-s (without entering text)
- Case insensitive sort order of files does not mix dot-files with others
- Added new colors for dialogs and status bars
- Added new action PanelSmartGotoParentDir
- Internal editor's bookmarks are persistent now and not lost after exit from the editor
- Massive reorganizing of source code tree and total indentation in according with mc policy
- New translations: Basque, Estonian, Georgian, Indonesian
- For a complete list of changes, see THIS page.
Please note that there are many other changes between the latest stable version (22.214.171.124) and the new stable 4.7.5 as the stable branch (4.7.0.x) only got bug fixes for most of last year.
We were maintaining Midnight Commander unstable in our Unstable PPA but since this is a stable version, the package is now available in the WebUpd8 PPA, for Ubuntu Karmic, Lucid, Maverick and Natty (but only tested on Maverick). Add the WebUpd8 PPA and install the latest MC 4.7.5 using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8 sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mc
Thanks to Eugene San for the MC 4.7.5 debianization fixes!