A new version of GLX-Dock (previously known as Cairo Dock) is on the way - 2.3 (currently in beta), which will bing a lot of new applets: MintMenu, Cardapio and Lancelot menus, a translator applet, Thunderbird unread count applet, Transmission, Deluge and Ktorrent applets and more.
Further more, GLX Dock now has its own applet repository so you can install new applets by simply dragging and dropping them onto the dock.
Some of the important new features in Cairo Dock 2.3:
- 2 new themes are also available: Japan-2 and MeeGo
- The System-Monitor applet can now monitor CPU temperature and fan speed.
- The Logout applet now warns you when the computer needs to be restarted.
- The menus have a better layout and if you lock the dock, most of entries are hidden.
- The Slider is much faster to load a huge number of images.
- A unified icon settings window helps configuring all the launchers/applets/docks/desklets in a short time.
Here is a video with these latest changes in action:
(The new MeeGo theme)
Install Cairo Dock beta and the new applets
To add the weekly Cairo Dock PPA, use the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cairo-dock-team/weekly sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
To install the new applets:
sudo apt-get install bzr cd ~/.config/cairo-dock && rm -r third-party && bzr checkout --lightweight lp:cairo-dock-plug-ins-extras third-party
Please note that while Cardapio and MintMenu worked for me, after a few minutes they stopped working so use the beta at your own risk!
Screenshot, video and info thanks to Fabounet.