2ClickUpdate is a front-end for system updates that checks for and installs updates, removes unnecessary files and cleans up after installing the updates. It works on any Debian/Ubuntu based Linux distribution.
2ClickUpdate is a shell script with a GUI provided by Zenity that uses axel (similar to apt-fast) for handling the downloads (so the downloads are a lot faster then regular updates) and NotifyOSD notifications.
2ClickUpdate automatically performs the following actions:
- Refreshes your package list.
- Installs the latest updates for your applications and system libraries.
- Removes packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some packages that are no more needed.
- Removes packages and configuration files which are not required by any other software upon your system.
- Removes all stored archives in your cache for packages that are no longer in the repositories or that have a newer version in the repositories.
- Deletes from cache the downloaded packages to free up some space.
All with just 2 clicks (thus the name).
2ClickUpdate is available in 20 languages and the latest version (6.0) finally works with Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat. Other new features in 2ClickUpdate 6.0 include:
- RamCleanApt, which optimizes RAM memory freeing up some MB's.
- Redesigned User interface in 2Click Update
- 2cuCORE (a command line version of 2ClickUpdate) edition is also available in .deb packages for easy installs/uninstalls
- SmartApt module for installing/upgrading is now based on Update Manager
Here is a video demoing the latest 2ClickUpdate recorded by its developer, Salih EMIN:
Download 2ClickUpdate 6.0 (GUI ) - available as a .deb | Once installed, launch it via the Applications > System Tools > 2ClickUpdate menu item.
Thanks to Salih EMIN for the news and video!