GNOME Activity Journal is an activity browser that uses Zeitgeist to display the recently used files in a smart way. The new version (which was actually released a while back, but only now is available in the PPA) comes with a minimal mode, status icon and blacklist manager - all available through the GNOME Activity Journal preferences.
Other changes in GNOME Activity Journal 0.3.4.1 (since 3.3):
- New timeline view that now based on a gtktreeview.
- Revamped multiple day view
- Better support for Dark themes
- Widgets using themes with pixbuf backgrounds are now drawn correctly
- Added a More Information window which displays a description of the event, its subject, and other events related to the event.
- Context menu now works in all widgets
- Improved rendering in thumbnail view
You can install the latest version of GNOME Activity Journal and Zeitgeist from their official PPA (which was finally updated with the latest GAJ and ZG):
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zeitgeist/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install zeitgeist gnome-activity-journal
Once installed, you will find Gnome Activity Journal under Applications > Accessories > Activity Journal.