Normally we would have waited for Rhythmbox to be updated on GetDeb.net but unfortunately GetDeb is down for a few days and because Rhythmbox is a great music player and probably a lot of people are waiting to upgrade to the latest version, we have added Rhythmbox 0.12.7 "It's a hectic world" (yes, that's it's code name) which was released just this morning, to the WebUpd8 PPA.
Rhythmbox 0.12.7 gets two new plugins: a new ReplayGain plugin which actually works as opposed to the old one and a Nautilus-sendto plugin (which can be activated through Edit > Plugins > Send Tracks) which you can use to simply right clicking a track and select "Send to" and you can send the track to a IM client, email, removable media or CD/DVD-RW:
Other changes in Rhythmbox 0.12.7 include:
- Support for Magnatune streaming and download accounts
- Support for pidgin in the IM status plugin
- Context pane plugin now uses the GTK+ font settings
- Support for artist and album sort names
- As GSEAL-ready as we can make it for now
- Compatible with the new totem-plparser save API
- Disentangled 'delete', 'remove', and 'remove from playlist' actions
- Improvements to display of mixed-direction text
- Simplified selection of audio CD tracks to extract
- Playlist creation should work on more generic player devices now
- and lots of bugs fixed.
For a complete list, see the Rhythmbox mailing list.
To install Rhythmbox 0.12.7 in Ubuntu Karmic, simply add the WebUpd8 PPA:
Before adding the PPA, I have to remind you that there are some bleeding edge versions for some applications such as VLC 1.1.0 from GIT, gThumb 1.11.2 and so on, so add the PPA at your own risk!
To add the PPA, paste this in a terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
And then install Rhythmbox 0.12.7 (the install command also works for upgrade so you can use this even if upgrading):
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install rhythmbox rhythmbox-plugins rhythmbox-plugin-coherence rhythmbox-plugin-cdrecorder