The service currently offers 25 GB of free personal storage, with individual files limited to 50 MB, but this can only be accessed through a browser. However, there is an application which integrates with Windows Explorer and displayes the Windows Live SkyDrive as a drive on your computer.
SkyDrive Explorer currently offers the following functionality:
- View the structure and contents of folders in SkyDrive.
- View files information (type, size, creation date in GMT format).
- Create new root folders and subfolders.
- Copy files into the storage.
- Delete files and folders.
- Copy files from the storage to the computer.
- Copy folders and subfolders from the storage to the computer keeping their structure.
- Use Drag & Drop for files operations.
- Rename files and folders.
- Create links to SkyDrive folders on your computer.
SkyDrive Explorer makes it easier to work with files that are hosted at the Windows Live SkyDrive service. It provides access to some features that are not offered by the web service itself including multi-file-operations like renaming, deleting or copying multiple files or folders. The standard Microsoft library for Windows Live ID services is used which means that the personal information are not passed to the SkyDrive Explorer engine. The traffic between the local computer system and the online storage uses the https protcol to protect against network snooping.
Download SkyDrive Explorer.